An unexpected sight for many: in the midst of the hilly landscape of Mariasdorf a true jewel of late gothic architecture rises up, visible from far away. The striking, unplastered walls of greenish and reddish-brown chlorite slate give the church of Mariae Himmelfahrt its unmistakable appearance. As a landmark of Mariasdorf, the building also adorns the municipal coat of arms.
History of the village: The late Gothic church of the Assumption of Mary was probably built between 1400 and 1490, but was never quite finished. Little is known about the origin of the church. The Kanizsai brothers, who in 1392 secured for themselves the possession of the Hungarian royal manor of Amber, began the construction of a generously planned parish church.
According to the architectural features, the presbytery of the church was first built at the beginning of the 15th century. Towards the end of the 15th century the nave was probably built. The unfinished west portal with the tympanum was probably built around 1490, the sacristy as well as the ossuary and the old sacrament house on the north wall around 1483. After baroque alterations, the church was renovated in the style of historicism, freed of baroque ingredients, completed and partially redesigned in the years 1882 to 1899 under the artistic direction of Emmerich (Imre) Steindl, the architect of the Hungarian Parliament. The neo-Gothic high altar, the pulpit and the baptismal font are from the Zsolnay ceramics factory in Pécs/Fünfkirchen in Hungary and represent an art-historical rarity.